Friday, December 18, 2009

Broadcast and the Focus Group


On Wednesday I returned to my Album Show on FBi for the first time in about three months. It seemed fitting to play a record by one of the incredible artists we watched while in the US, so luckily I was able to get my hands on a copy of Broadcast and the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age (available to download via Warp). Jonti and I saw them perform at le Poission Rouge during CMJ, and I'm pretty sure that out of all the shows I've seen this year nobody else has surpassed them in measures of mind-melting-ness - the way we couldn't stand up straight due to the onslaught of stupefying visuals and sonics in perfect synaesthetic collision is still as fresh in my mind three months on as Animal Collective's show at the Enmore is from last Friday night. Broadcast's collaborator on this record is The Focus Group (aka Julian House) who is co-owner of Ghost Box Records, a British label who release music in the vein of musique-concrete, folklore, vintage electronics and hauted televison soundtracks from the 1970s.

I just learned yesterday that this record was named Best of 2009 by The Wire:


Here are the first two videos to be released with the record - #1: Witch Cults and #2: I See, So I See So:
Tim

No comments: